Media & Communications Manager
A Note from General Director, John Rozzoni: In this everchanging post-COVID operascape, I hope we have all learned a little something about what matters. This job has the potential to be your dream job. I want you to learn every day and do fulfilling work. While this is a part-time position, the right dedicated candidate will easily find growth opportunities within our small and scrappy opera company. We have learned that flexibility, adaptability, creative problem solving, and resilience are invaluable skills. Applicants from non-traditional paths are encouraged. We seek someone of considerable potential to grow with us into the future of opera.
Tri-Cities Opera Company, Inc., (TCO) is in search of a highly motivated Media & Communications Manager for immediate hire. The successful candidate will direct & control the company’s day-to-day content development & communications narrative across multiple platforms. The ideal candidate will be highly creative and have experience developing content and communications that help build brand recognition. A major focus of the position will be identifying & implementing strategic initiatives that deepen TCO’s brand connection with current audiences and supporters, while building relationships with new, diverse audiences and supporters to create an engaging narrative around the artistic/entertainment value & broad charitable/civic impact of Tri-Cities Opera.
Responsibilities include (but may not be limited to):
- Overseeing all TCO external communications
- Planning, placing, and reporting on digital media campaigns and traditional advertising initiatives, independently and with the assistance of a marketing agency for select campaigns
- Leveraging marketing budget for maximum/optimal impact and return on investment
- Using data to create cohesive, yet appropriately segmented messaging across multiple channels/platforms
- Commissioning creative assets from designers, marketing assistant/intern, etc. in a timely fashion
- Building community partnerships with third parties
- Creating advertising and sponsorship package-solicitation-materials that incorporate both digital and traditional avenues for visibility
The successful candidate will have a keen ability to prioritize, take initiative, and find solutions. Expressing ideas concisely, clearly, and effectively in written, visual, and oral communications is a must. Our Media & Communications Manager, will likely grow into our spokesperson and will facilitate cohesive strategic messaging across the organization. Applicants seeking a long-term relationship with Tri-Cities Opera are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Bachelor’s degree (strong preference for communications, marketing, or opera related field)
- 3+ years experience in a communications or marketing role
- Exceptional writing & listening skills, with robust organizational skills
- Thorough and expanding knowledge of social media best practices (Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Youtube, etc.)
- Knowledge of best/evolving practices for email marketing
- Skilled with Microsoft Office Suite (Publisher, Word, Excel, & PowerPoint) and Google workspace equivalents
- Proficiency in web page editing (WordPress preferred)
- Proficiency with content creation tools (Canva, iMovie, etc.)
- Experience with and understanding of segmentation, marketing automation, campaign development, & social media scheduling platforms (Hootsuite or other)
- Outstanding analytical & presentation skills including expertise with Google Analytics & web analysis tools to use data to drive marketing decisions
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced, deadline-based, collaborative environment
- Proficiency in design softwares: Adobe Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, etc.) or other design software
- Experience with online fundraising (Network for Good/Facebook/Give Lively) platforms
- Knowledge of the theater and opera industry preferred
- Experience with customer relationship management (CRM) software for box-office operations, development, & marketing list segmentation (ChoiceCRM preferred)
- Develop & implement annual marketing calendar to create cohesive, aligned, & budgeted content plans utilizing assets across multiple channels
- Manage updates & maintenance of the company’s online presence
- Social Media Accounts
- Email communications
- Oversee execution of Google AdWords grant & coordinate social media ad buys
- Create content and supervise social media support personnel
- Advertising and sponsorship solicitations
- Identify potential sponsors and advertisers within the community
- Create customized production/event sponsorship packages/media kits for both trade and financial investment
- Monitor payment status
- Establish campaign launches for upcoming productions & events
- Program book & print material editing
- Design, layout, editing of mainstage program books
- Design, layout, editing of programs for smaller events
- Liaise with TCO departments to promote and integrate marketing materials
- Education & Opera-Go-Round School Tour
- Set & Costume Rentals, to promote and expand revenue center
- Development, especially for online or multi-channel campaign efforts
- Production to coordinate artist/media interviews, photography, and other publicity events
- Liaise with local media entities/marketing agency to create opportunities for no-cost press coverage
- Interviews, Sweepstakes, PSA’s etc.
- Participate in collaborative event planning, budgeting & execution
- Fundraisers, press conferences, community & special events
Part Time, In-Person:
- 20-30 hours per week based on workload and production schedule.
- Some flexibility for remote work
Reports To: General Director
Compensation: $18-$24/hr based on experience
Please submit the following through the listing site or to email@example.com:
- Cover Letter
TCO will require the submission of at least 3 samples of your work as part of the interview process. These work samples should exemplify your creativity and efficiency in visual and written communication.
The above statements reflect the general duties and responsibilities considered necessary to perform the essential functions of the job and should not be considered as a detailed description of all the work requirements of the position. Tri-Cities Opera may change the specific job duties with or without prior notice based on the needs of the organization and your capacity to efficiently complete projects and tasks.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Tri-Cities Opera provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, or non-disqualifying physical or mental handicap or disability in each aspect of the human resources function.
ABOUT TRI-CITIES OPERA COMPANY
Entering its 72nd season, Tri-Cities Opera (TCO) is rooted in the history of its founders–training young artists, setting the standard for performance excellence, & engaging with the audiences of tomorrow through the power of live musical storytelling. Known for its history and standing as the oldest continuously-producing regional opera company in NYS, TCO is recognized as a destination for both established & emerging global talent.
In keeping with the history of our founders, Tri-Cities Opera’s mission is the production of professional quality opera using the talents of young artists. TCO sets the standard for artistic excellence while enriching, enhancing, engaging & educating our community through the power of live musical storytelling.
We accomplish our mission in the following mutually supportive ways:
- Performances – predominantly serve the Southern Tier of New York State & include main-stage productions at the Forum Theater as well as more intimate black-box productions & recitals at the Clinton Street Opera Center and other venues.
- Opera-Go-Round (OGR) – is the self-supporting educational touring arm of TCO reaching over 17,000 young students with age-appropriate musical programs including one-act operas for children. Programs extend throughout the Southern Tier, meeting NYS arts education standards. OGR is often a child’s first exposure to live musical storytelling.
- The Resident Artist Program – this postgraduate education program provides talented young singers, selected through a competitive audition process, the opportunity to learn the discipline of opera through the performance of leading roles in major productions. Additionally, our collaborative relationship with Binghamton University provides auditioned & selected BU students with professional stage experience and preparation.